Putting Designs to the Test
The months-long design and build portion of the Fluid Power Vehicle Challenges culminates in a competition between schools to test the limits of their creations. The Vehicle Challenge expands each year. Two separate competitive events will be held in the current cycle, ensuring that students from over 20 universities can participate and more NFPA Foundation donors can connect with these students.
Want to get involved? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Review Overview, Rules and Awards
- Register adviser and all team members.
- Learn about fluid power technology and watch the Fluid Power Safety video.
- Become familiar with the program contacts and industry mentors
- Attend a Kick-Off Webinar
- Work with the Industry Mentors and the Technical Liaison to identify project objectives and set a plan
- Review the FPVC Assessment Rubric
- Watch pre-recorded videos or attend Educational Webinars offered by Technical Liaison and Parts Suppliers
- Investigate concepts from previous year
- Create initial design to illustrate the fluid power control circuits
- Simulate design and perform dynamic, fluid flow, expected performance, and other analyses
- Using the Midway Review Template, present project objectives at the Design and Specification Midway Review Webinar
- Choose and order components
- Receive parts and begin to construct vehicle prototypes
- Build, test and make adjustments to the vehicle
- Only operational vehicles will be able to compete
- Send video of vehicle in operation to Program Manager and Technical Liaison
- Register for the Final Competition
- Receive shipping instructions from Program Manager, prepare vehicle
- Review travel procedures and make arrangements
- Using the Presentation Template, prepare the final presentation and send to Program Manager
- Presentations submitted to the Program Manager will be posted after the Final Competition
- Final Competition will be hosted by a donor in the NFPA Foundation’s Pascal Society
Meet Our Final Competition Hosts
Danfoss Power Solutions is a global industry leader in providing mobile hydraulics and a complete range of energy-efficient hydraulic, electronic, and electrical solutions for the construction, agriculture, and other off-highway vehicle markets.
Norgren, as a part of IMI plc, has a proud history of innovative engineering in motion control and fluid technology. Norgren collaborates with customers globally to address the complex and ever-changing needs of modern manufacturing. The Norgren enterprise develops solutions that continually improve factory automation, material handling, process control, and more.
Over $15,000 can be awarded in prizes to teams that place in several categories! Award funds are issued either directly to students or to the home university to support future program efforts.
Meet the Teams
Teams are encouraged to investigate concepts from the previous year’s program. See what universities are competing and review previous submissions.
Stipends and Travel
One team per university will be funded through the program through stipend disbursements and reimbursement for travel to the Final Competition.
At least one Industry Mentor is assigned to each team to coach them throughout the year. Industry Judges participate in the assessment and scoring of each team and determines category winners at the Final Competition.